Thursday, February 28, 2008

Gene Siskel is Turning in His Grave

So lately there has been a lot of conversation among the roommates involving a list of Top 5 movies, and this has really gotten us contemplating our thoughts on what our Top 5 would shape up to be. Naturally, I've decided this would be the perfect forum to list my top 5 to my hundreds of thousands of readers.

First, I'd like to note that the following list is a list of my "5 Favorite Movies." These movies are defined as ones which I can put on at any time and enjoy without fail. Please note that this list is different than a list of "Top 5 movies," which, by my definition, is a list of movies that you think you'll sound intelligent and intellectual by listing when you tell other people (undoubtedly, movies such as "Citizen Kane," "Casablanca," and "Apocalypse Now" would be on this list out of necessity) - I am not the IFI, and don't plan on being.

Also, please note that this is not a listing of my 5 favorite movies that actually moved me to elicit emotions (extremely tough), nor is it my 5 favorite comedies (Caddyshack, Airplane, Lebowski, etc.), as I could create separate lists for each of these, and a host of other categories as well. There are also movies which I thought were absolutely outstanding, but I could not willingly admit that I would be able to watch numerous times and maintain the same level of appreciation for them (Half Nelson, Hotel Rwanda, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, The Departed immediately come to mind)

The following is my list of 5 Favorite Movies, in no order of importance.

1. A River Runs Through It
2. Good Will Hunting
3. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad (only film to make it out of my "top comedies" list
4. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
5. The Royal Tenenbaums

This list is definitely not final, as I'm sure I could have put a lot more thought into it.

Since we are on the subject, I'd like to take a page from one of my favorite new websites, Stuff White People Like, and talk about a few movies which I think people feel like they have to like.

Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction (and, on the whole, any film by Quentin Tarantino)
The Usual Suspects

Now don't get me wrong - I've seen all three of these movies, and I think they're all relatively decent. In fact, extra kudos goes to Usual Suspects, though the allure of Kaiser Soze loses some of its luster after the 1st viewing, as we all know he was not actually picking coffee beans in Guatemala....and yes, that could be the only time in my life I utilize the word "kudos." I now feel like I'm an 8th grade drama club teacher.

Why do people always list these movies in their top 5? Because its cool to do so. Yes, I am fully aware that Pulp Fiction was nominated for 7 Oscars and The Usual Suspects was nominated for 2 as well, but I would argue that these are not, in fact, the reasons as to why people enjoyed the films. These films are all somewhat unique in terms of plot development (think "Memento"), and they all involve relatively intelligent hit men/criminals acting like "normal," rational human beings. I don't buy it for a minute. People who like these films think they are inherently more intelligent than those who don't, because the one's who don't like these movies must only like the mainstream shit (example: "Have fun watching The DaVinci Code"). Admittedly, we all have our quirks: I am a big fan of Charlie Kaufman screenplays, as I enjoy "Being John Malkovich" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," but am I a dick to people who "Just don't get them"? Nope....I'll leave that to the entire hipster population.

Now that I've given my "Favorite 5" and also shit (does "shit" have a past tense? shitted? shat?) on 3 of, most likely, all of my readers' favorite movies, let's make this puppy go interactive. Feel free to either A. Belittle my choices and/or opinions, or B. Provide your own Favorite 5

5 comments:

Avery said...

First you reject the idea of listing your "Top 5 movies" because in your view it is simply "a list of movies that you think you'll sound intelligent and intellectual by listing when you tell other people." Then you go on to talk about how you don't feel compelled to like Pulp Fiction. This is a perfect example of the very fake intellectualism you earlier disavowed. I mean everyone likes Pulp Fiction. Am I wrong here?

kimberly said...

1. The Sandlot
2. High Fidelity
3. Wet Hot American Summer
4. Slackers
5. Zoolander

Phil Friedman said...

There is a difference, yes, between that sort of respectful admiration that leads to Top 5 lists and the genuine love that leads to Favorite 5 lists--a useful distinction, I give you. You do too little justice, however, to those of us who do happen to genuinely love the same films a lot of critics happened to like.

I have great respect for the influence of 'Citizen Kane', and enjoyed it thoroughly, but it didn't grab me at that visceral level. 'Pulp Fiction', on the other hand, was simply a smashingly fun and inventive piece of work. You know, fun? For days after I saw 'Apocalypse Now', I could think of nothing else. For my part, I hesitate to mention either film to people I don't know well, lest I become known as that sort of man who talks about violent critical darlings.

I have my disagreements with critics, too, you know--Roger Ebert gave 'A Clockwork Orange' too little credit and 'Saturday Night Fever' infinitely too much.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful blog. I love it.