Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Gauntlet

I realize I'm a little late in terms of throwing my hat in the mix, but I wanted to take a little time to discuss one of my favorite time wasters, the Real World vs Road Rules Gauntlet. Ah yes, its that time of year again...actually, isn't one of these shows on ALL the time on MTV? SPOILER ALERT

So I'll leave the episode recap to my good friend's new blog, as this forum will be more of a commentary of the episode on the whole. I figure it's better to do this in a stream of consciousness format, as thats the way my mind works most of the time anyways. I apologize in advance that there are no pictures or anything, but its past midnight on a weekday, I've had a bit to drink, and I'd like to get to bed early.

- Who exactly is Jillian? Am I getting senile in my old age, or is she one of those weird "Road Rules" people from last season?

-Is it me, or has Robin gotten progressively hotter over the years?

-Am I the only person who misses Dorrell's funny vernacular? I mean, I've never had more fun listening to someone than when Dorell used to say the word "Inferno"

-Has anyone on this show ever heard of sunblock? Its quite possible that everyone stored this on their carry on, and got it taken away from them at the security checkpoint. Perhaps they don't sell this "sunblock" stuff in Mexico?

-The first challenge - I'm not even sure what to say or how to react. A laundry challenge? Are you serious? So you have to run into the ocean, get a white linen shirt wet, run it back, give it to someone to send across a line, then ring it out. Amazing. Can I get this 3 minutes of my life back? And is there a strategy involved? Absolutely not.

-BROOKE: Is she not the worst real world/road rules challenge character ever? There is so much to talk about with her, but I'll try to only touch the important points. First, she gets called out that she is a "bad soaker" (see notes above on challenge). This reminds me of the "So you wanna be my latex salesman" quote by seinfeld - you connect the dots on that one. Not to mention the fact that she comes into the show being a fake lesbian (even Coral called her out on this one). Then she does miserably in the Gauntlet (as we knew), and drops the L bomb on Ev after she loses?? I also loved the fact that Evelyn was so angry after Brooke left that she needed to do PUSHUPS by the pool. I've never been so angry that I've resulted to pushups. Situps maybe, but pushups are simply ridiculous.

-How off is Nehemiah with his weights? Before the gauntlet, he drops the line that Brooke has 70 pounds over Jillian. SEVENTY pounds? I'd give her 40 at most, but thats it. And I feel like this isn't the 1st time he's made a ludicrous weight comment. Is he measuring in Stones or something?

-The 2nd challenge (the maze thing) - how was this even fair?? Typically, when a team is short people (i.e. the Rookies), they need to have some people go twice in order to balance things off with the other team. Why then, in this challenge, did the rookies get to only race 11 people through the maze, while the wiley Veterans had to race 15? My conspiracy theory is that the MTV producers realized there would be absolutely no parity between the teams if they didn't do this, and did not want the Veterans to go 5-0. How did the Vets not raise any objections to their boy TJ Lavin?

Lastly, I'm going to try and list my favorite 3 guys and girls from the challenge. I'd like to update this each week, but we'll see what happens [read: I'll forget a week from now]

Favorite Girls

1. Casey: hot blonde, closet slut, and I find it funny that she got fake boobs with her winnings from the last challenge, but still only has like a b cup (not complaining)

2. Johanna: hot latina. aside from that, I don't really care for her

3. Katie: pretty funny, I enjoy her backstabbing tactics, uber-bitchy and prone to get in screaming fights, and smokes at least 4 packs a day in my opinion

Honorable Mention #1 - Janelle: Because she's hot, and cause she called Tyler out last week about being a douche bag.

Honorable Mention #2 - Coral: also because she's bitchy, and she has X cups.

Favorite Guys (in a non-Brokeback manner)

1. Evan

2. Brad

3. Johnny Bananas

Honorable Mention - Kenny

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here I go, feeding the ego that is Matt. If Gauntlet wasn't in my absolute wheelhouse I would ignore this...and you.

First, MTV. Could you cut down on one of your 11 dating shows involving parents whoring their kids out and get HD. Throw me a bone...even the Celts are in HD now.

B.) No Gauntlet recap should be without a CT update...he has returned from suspension even more jacked on HGH and is somehow still dating the cancer survivor Diem who actually seems to have a soul. Every other week I would like to examine where in god's name Brad got his accent.

III.) Can we get a serious discussion as to whether or not TJ Lavin is paid money, or just given free booze and his run at all the female housemates. And who does he pick first?

4.) Only "Brokeback" people feel the need to preface a comment about a man as "not being Brokeback."

Finally...DUKE LOOKS TOUGH!!!!