Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Blog Changes- Links of the Day 12/6/11


In an effort to ramp up my blogging efforts on Just What You Expected, I’ve chosen a somewhat different path – going forward, I will be posting my favorite links of the day and offering a short commentary on each link.  By use of “favorite,” by no means should any reader imply that these links are “noteworthy.”  I realize that this is somewhat Barstool Sports/Deadspin/With Leather/NY Mag Vulture of me, but I mean no offense, and I’m not trying to steal anyone’s thunder.  My decision is merely based upon a mixed motive based upon laziness and lack of time to commit to my blog.  Yup….just what you expected me to say.  Many links will be sports related, though it should hit on some pop culture and newsworthy pieces as well.

Onto the links:

Wait – do you mean to tell me that after a somewhat inappropriate relationship with colleague Michelle Beadle (including quite transparent flirting on Twitter), a prior arrest for violating a restraining order against his wife and kicking in a garage door (5 charges filed against him), a DUI offense where he “allegedly” decided to drive his Porsche on only 3 tires to the point where the 4th rim was sparking, not to mention being potentially the worst hockey analyst on ESPN, the network finally cut ties with Matthew Barnaby??  What exactly was the tipping point here?  It’s not like Barnaby was SO great at his job that he should have been a golden child.  Salisbury gets fired immediately for showing pictures of his dick on his cell phone, Steve Philips gets fired immediately for having an affair with a not-so-attractive ESPN staffer (perhaps that was his penance for picking a heffer?), and Barnaby can get away with committing these acts for that long?  How does that even make sense?

2.  http://www.boston.com/Boston/politicalintelligence/2011/12/dan-qualye-says-mitt-romney-has-four-essential-qualities-president/mkMYQyatHiWAigYohR7jZK/index.html?p1=News_links

Dan Quayle endorses Mitt Romney for President.  I honestly don't even need any commentary; the punch line is the caption.


3.  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sports/hockey/derek-boogaard-a-boy-learns-to-brawl.html
 Amazing 3-part expose from the New York Times on the life of former NHL enforcer Derek "Boogeyman" Boogaard.  It definitely makes you think about the legitimacy of fighting in hockey, though one could argue that more concussions in hockey occur as a result of body checks as opposed to fighting.  Without fighting, there could potentially be a lack of self-policing in hockey, and this could actually cause more injuries, especially to star players who were otherwise protected.


Not sure what the saddest part of this story is, though the fact that he kept his drugs in pastel-colored plastic easter eggs hidden around his apartment is definitely the front runner right now.


4.  https://www.acerafa.com/

Win game against a fake/virtual Rafael Nadal with your serving robot and win a trip to put him right on his ass in Spain.  It took me about 10 minutes to figure out that just like the backhand move in NHL 94 for Sega Genesis, there is a way to serve the ball that works every time.


5.  http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7319858/the-people-hate-tim-tebow


Chuck Klosterman does it again.  Great article on the Jesus-loving phenom that is Tim Tebow - not so much about him, but why he's so fascinating to OTHER people.  To be honest, Chuck Klosterman could write about mad cow disease and I'd be a happy person....and usually I don't even like hipsters.


On a side note, I can't stand when athletes thank the J-man for helping them win the game.  Trot Nixon of the Red Sox was notorious for doing this in interviews, and I cringed every time.


6.  http://ryanseacrest.com/2011/12/06/mikes-bleeding-vinnys-leaving-club-fights-fill-the-jersey-shore-season-5-trailer-video/

Just what everyone needed - a preview of the new season of Jersey Shore.  I have to be honest here - I'm pretty much done with this show.  Here is my latest analysis of the characters:

-Snooki: The mere sight of Snickers aka Snooks aka Snooki causes me to dry heave.
-Vinnie:  He's a mama's boy dork without a "cool" bone in his body (and I may have just lost my coolness by using that phrase).  Definitely had the largest transition from "shy geek" to "outspoken geek who thinks he's awesome and wants to be an actor."
-Ronnie/Sammie Sweetheart:  Just. Stop. It.  Both of you suck.  Ronnie's only saving grace is his laugh and his crazy legs dance when he gets drunk, and I'm pretty sure Sammie makes every male viewer realize his GF, however crazy she may be, is a god-send compared to her.
-Mike "The Situation": Still cracks me up, I have to say.  It's almost like MTV created him as a character.  He's literally a caricature of himself, and I find this hilarious..Oh, and he's def in the closet.
-J-Woww:  Not too much to say - she's definitely matured a bit; I miss the fights.  And she absolutely wins the award for "most plastic surgery performed to unknowingly make oneself more unattractive than when the process began."
-Deena:  The other half of "Team Meatball," not much else to say about her.  Likes getting naked, and constantly wonders why no one wants to have sex with her.  I've got an answer for you, Deena - you're disgusting.
-Pauly D: Saving grace of the show.  Funny, original (creates his own catch-lines), nice, great head of hair, classic Rhode Island accent (everyone has met a "Pauly D" at the Atlantic Beach Club in Newport), and questionable DJ skills...though Fifty Cent just signed him to a deal, so maybe he's got something going for him...


7.  http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/12/nj-mayor-resigns-two-months-after-underwear-pic.html

Giving credit where credit is due, this link was sent to me by my friend Katie.  Never have I seen a more relaxed Mayor.  This guy could give George Costanza a run for his money....








No comments: