Thursday, March 20, 2008

"We Got Next"


Is there a more exciting athletic event than March Madness? For a college basketball fan, there's arguably no better time to watch hour after hour of games - I mean, who doesn't get excited watching some small conference team upset one of the big boys (think BUCKNELL beating powerhouse Kansas in 2005)? Now, if you equate equate the official "start" of March Madness Thursday of the first weekend, I have something I need to tell you - you're wrong; any real basketball fans knows it's Wednesday.

Still no clue what I'm talking about yet? Well, I'll let you out on a little-known secret: Wednesday of that same week is the beginning of the Women's NIT tournament, i.e., the real start of March Madness. For the rare reader who is unfamiliar with the Women's NIT tournament (an absolutely blasphemous offense), allow me to explain: It is the "championship" tournament held for NCAA Division 1 women's basketball teams that cannot even make the real women's NCAA tournament. Looking for the Prairie View vs Texas State women's matchup? You're in luck - just start following the Women's NIT. I've got some bad news though....there's zero chance of finding it on television, and you've got a better chance finding hot nude pictures of Roseanne Barr on the internet than you do finding any Women's NIT coverage on ESPN.com....go ahead, I dare you.

In honor of the magnificent event known as the Women's NIT, my roommates and I have decided to participate in our own Tournament Challenge. Go ahead, fill out your Men's NCAA March Madness brackets and throw away $10 on the office pool, checking the website every so often to make witty comments on the message board to make the girl in the cubicle next to you giggle - we'll stick to the real shit. And to think you call yourself a "bracketologist".....

Don't worry, we wouldn't simply participate in a bracket pool without consequences....allow me to let you in on the stakes:

Winner receives remote control privileges for a full business week (5 days)

Loser is revoked of couch/chair sitting privileges in the living room for a full week, AND the following (dependent upon who comes in last place):

Billy: No ketchup or mustard use on his salads for 1 week (yes, I said "on his salads")
Avery: Cannot wear glasses/contacts when watching tv upstairs for 1 week
Guy: Cannot eat/make quesadillas for 1 week
Roommate Dan ("RD"): Cannot drink any form of bottled water for 1 week
Matt: Cannot use gmail/gchat/facebook after work hours for 1 week

Note: If you are not familiar with the roommates, let it be known that the loser will sacrifice one of his privileges or vices for a week.

The RPI rankings have been researched, the respective brackets have been filled out with pride, and the trash talking has officially started (if you see me, no need to inform me that I know absolutely nothing about women's college basketball).

Feel free to check in with any of us for updates, but let me warn you - my full attention may not be with you, as I'll most likely be too busy wishing for a strong tourney run by the James Madison University Lady Dukes......

No comments: