Monday, February 13, 2012

2012 Grammys Revisited

So in full disclosure, I didn't watch most of the Grammys.  To be more accurate, I managed to miss everything except for about 15 minutes of the entire show as well as most of the red carpet pre-show (is there anyone that doesn't have a girlfriend that watches the pre-show to see "how beautiful the dresses are?").

Now here's the good news....not only did I catch Nicki Minaj's (and her Priest's) entrance into the awards, but I was also able to catch her performance.  Thank god.

Anyways, here are my quick thoughts, in no order of importance.

-What in God's name (pun intended) was Nicki Minaj wearing?  She looked like a giant Ewok.  And what was that on her dress?  I'm pretty sure it was the album cover of "The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill."

-I honestly don't even know what to say about Nicki's performance.  It's been nearly 24 hours, and I'm still utterly speechless.  I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about this, and still can't think of anything which could be funnier and/or stranger than the actual performance.

-Admittedly, I don't know much about DeadMau5 (is he a DJ? How old is he? Has anyone ever seen his face? Is he good friends with Banksy? Was that last joke even funny (leaning towards no)?

-Who's "blowout" came first?  Paulie D vs. Bruno Mars.....discuss.  In Bruno's defense, he seems like a fairly cool cat.

-Did the Foo Fighters really win like 5 awards, or did I wake up in 1998?

-I also managed to see Adelle win her last two awards, and although she seemed genuinely excited accepting her last award of the night, my reflection of her acceptance speech for the 2nd to last award was cold at best - it appeared like she was ready to throw the Grammy into the "rubbish" (I think that's what the Brits call it) immediately after she exited stage right.  Was this like the 19th award she received last night?

-How does Bon Iver win "Best New Artist?"  I'm the guy who heard Ja Rule's and spent the next week convincing my friends that it would be "THE" song of the year for college kids....in 2011.  And not only do I know Bon Iver, but I'm pretty sure they already have a minimum of 2 albums out. *

-Can someone PLEASE tell me the difference between "Record of the Year" and "Album of the Year"??  I asked three different people today, and absolutely no one knew the answer.

-Congrats to Kanye and Jay-Z for their "Best Rap Performance" win with Otis.  That being said, am I that crazy to argue that "N*ggas in Paris," one of their other hit songs off the "Watch the Throne" album, should have been at least nominated in this category, if not won?  Is this the conspiracy theorist in me that thinks the Grammy people failed to include it because they didn't know what to say for the nomination?  Has there ever been a song nominated which contained a profanity, and if so, how did they deal with it?  That would be interesting....

Alright, I guess that's all I have....enjoy.

* Editor's note: Bon Iver is one of those classic bands that everyone wants to love, and say they love, but actually sucks.  More specifically, I believe this is a hipster phenomenon, but I would argue this Bon Iver fire even moved into the mainstream.  I can listen to them for about 5 minutes, and that's it.

No comments: